Civil Engineering is a hierarchy of ages, that the professionals are carrying with great sophistication and dedication. The importance of civil engineering work needs no introduction, it is and it will be an evergreen field.
I am also a civil engineering student; hence I know the struggling student generally face concerning the concepts and education.
However, in the present time, the field is not popular in the job market for freshers, despite the hard work, knowledge, and competitions students are facing. That is because, this field needs perfection and accuracy and we all can understand this demand as none of us want the structures around us unsafe as notwithstanding storms, earthquakes, or atmospheric conditions.
The most popular is the government sector for a career in this field, but that has a lot of competition which breaks all the motivation of students and make them go for other alternatives. However, after some years of experience, civil engineers get a good hike in their respective fields.
So, did you get it?
Civil engineering doesn’t lack opportunities, it just demanded more dedicated and talented people, and that maybe You!!
“Afterall, Humans need shelter and the growing urbanization will make the field flourish.”
So, no need to drown your heart peers we are in the profession where knowledge is a must, it only requires patience to deal with and that may be the best decision you ever made.
1. Technical Knowledge: This is the primary requirement if you want to pursue a career in the most prestigious engineering branch. A slight mistake can risk the lives of many, it explains how important it is to have talented students in this field.
2. Commitment: We all are familiar with the needs of a promising career and that applies to our field as well, Commitment! That I will acquire all the required knowledge for what I am going to make a career.
3. Passion: This is a must if you are in this field. Mind that Civil engineers need passionate people who can dedicate themselves, and we have so many examples of civil engineering works. If you love civil engineering then no one can ever stop you from achieving success in it. When it comes to the profession it is the most decent and reputed field as we are going to design the dreams of many.
4. Mathematical Skills: As a civil engineer you need to master these skills, as everything you will be going to create will be calculated. Even the inch of cement layer required is needed to be calculated, the plans or maps will be designed by you only, you may be in some environmental association where you may need to calculate the number of chemicals to limit in certain industry or project. Now, it is clear how important is it to have mathematical skills.
5. Communication Skills: The way you communicate wins half the battle! When you will go to visit sites or attend meetings, communication skills will help you present your ideas or work. It just enhances the chance of getting hired, gaining a project, or presenting any pitch.
6. Leadership Skills: Project Engineer is one of the most reputed posts anyone can get and so it requires the skills to lead a team with confidence and skills. Leadership skills come with time and experience, while some of the fortunate people are Leaders by birth.
7. Problem Solving: Problems are always going to be there, and when it comes to facing daily problems during any construction or any other project this skill is the need!
7 Tips for Civil Engineering Students:
These rules should be in your mind if you want to be one of the reputed persons, as the job offers a handsome salary along with designation and honour.
1. Never think that you know enough as this field is full of opportunities if one knows how to grab it. It is very important to be familiar with all the resources to know about this field before pursuing it. Many career services, alumni and university are there that may help you regarding this.
2. Gain experience whenever you get gaining experience is a plus at the initial stages of your career.
3. Keep networking and if possible, find a mentor”, It is great if you have a good network of Civil engineering professionals and it will keep you updated with new trends and requirements. It’s not less than a lottery! If you can find a mentor either in the form of a professor or alumni, colleague, family member, etc.
You will get to know the pros and cons of the roles and disciplines that they are working for. You can make a search through social media for your friends or family members who are in this profession or can join Facebook and LinkedIn groups where alumni, professionals are also members. Grow your contacts more and more.
4. Never overestimate yourself”, You might be the most brilliant student of your college campus or university but it’s not easy to keep your foot on the door. It is important to keep in mind that there are lots of intelligent brains competing for the same position you are looking for. “Confidence is the key, but overconfidence might backfire”.
5. Take time to wisely choose the right discipline for your career”, It is not good to stick to a single field right from the initial stage of your career, as you will definitely miss the exposure to other areas and therefore might not enjoy success. Try to explore first and then decide which discipline you want to get mentioned in your career profile.
6. Learning skills is what you’ll never regret”, skills are not just to add up in resume but they help you in interviews and your work.
7. Your CV is the virtual YOU”, so keep it up to date. It will be representing you in front of recruiters even the time before you enter the interview venue.
So, here I mentioned the qualities that will make you a Civil Engineering Professional, and these are needed to be acquired. I hope many of you will find it insightful.